Thursday, November 15, 2007

Back Channel Use?

One of the interesting issues that came up today during an online presentation was around the use of back channels. I had heard about an in-person presentation by Stephen Downes where the back channel contain lots of chatter that didn't necessarily contribute to the presentation. Many of the attendees were distracted by it. And many others felt it was disrespectful.

Some thoughts around back channel:
  • People are able to use the back channel to answer questions themselves. During my presentation many attendees asked questions that were immediately answered by others without my help.
  • As a presenter, it can be distracting to try to present and read at the same time, so I pretty much ignore it and then either have someone else responsible for alerting me to questions, or I go back through at particular points.
  • George actually suggested that learners turn off the chat window if they felt it would be distracting. However, that seems like those participants will miss out.
During online presentations, I can't imagine doing it without a back channel, but it certainly made me wonder what the right way, norms, etc. around use of back channels.

So, what's the right way to treat them? How are other people addressing this?

No comments:

Post a Comment