Thursday, September 6, 2007

Banning Phrases - Adoption by Corporations

I heard (on the radio this morning) about a mayor in a Russian city who banned various phrases for city employees. The mayor explains his rationale as:
  • City officials should help improve people's lives and solve their problems, not make excuses.
  • I am tired of civil servants telling me that problems were impossible to solve, rather than offering practical solutions.
  • the use of these expressions by city administration officials while speaking to the head of the city will speed their departure.
The phrases include:
  • What am I supposed to do?
  • I'm not dealing with this
  • We're having lunch
  • The working day is over
  • Somebody else has the documents
  • I think I was off sick at the time
  • It's lunch time
This got me to thinking that something similar maybe should be adopted by other organizations. Certainly there are a lot of phrases that become part of people's lexicon that help them avoid helping to solve problems. For me, it's one of the most frustrating things to deal with. Non-answers. Avoidance.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment